Do you know why chlorine is added to your water and the health effects it has on your family?
Chlorine was discovered in 1774 by Carl Wilhelm Scheele. He obtained it through the reaction of the mineral pyrolusite with hydrochloric acid. Scheele thought the resulting gas contained oxygen.
Sir Humphry Davy proposed and confirmed it to be an element in 1810 and named the element.
What is chlorine?
It is a powerful oxidant and is used in bleaching and disinfectants. When you think about it, it's purpose is to kill living organisms. As far as I know, we are all living organisms! Even in small amounts, taken daily, this poison builds up in our systems and causes harm.
"We are quite convinced‚ based on this study‚ that there is an association between cancer and chlorinated water." Medical College Of Wisconsin‚ Senior Research Team
"We are learning the hard way that all the time we thought we were preventing epidemics of one disease‚ we were creating another. Two decades after the start of chlorinating our drinking water the present epidemic of heart trouble and cancer began." Dr. Joseph M. Price‚ PhD
"One common factor among women with breast cancer is that they all have 50-60% higher levels of these chlorination by-products (THMs) in their fat tissue than women without breast cancer..." BreastCancerFund.org
A simple test kit you can buy from any pool or spa store will show you the amount of chlorine in your water. You squirt a few drops of a substance called orthotolidene (OTO) into the water turning it yellow. You then compare the tested water to the color chart, and if the water is too yellow, it's considered unsafe to swim in.
If you use this test on your tap water, you may find it at the top of the chart--in other words, not safe to swim in, let alone drink! Now, we wouldn't go to our swimming pool and dip out some water to drink or cook our food in, would we? But many people are doing the equivalent of that without realizing it.
While many people are aware of the dangers of drinking unfiltered water, very few ever consider the risks of showering in unfiltered water. Most people don’t realize that one can absorb up to 8 glasses of water through the skin during a quick 10-minute shower.
More serious is when chlorine becomes a gas that it irritates the respiratory system. It is in this form that it is used in chemical weapons. Because it is heavier than air, it accumulates at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces.
Chlorine is detectable in concentrations of 1 ppm. Coughing and vomiting may occur at 30 ppm and lung damage occurs at 60 ppm. About 1000 ppm can be fatal after a few deep breaths of the gas. Breathing lower concentrations can aggravate the respiratory system, and exposure to the gas can cause irritation to the eyes.
There are many health risks and consequences for our use of this chemical in our drinking water.