Choosing Water Filters for my Family...Where Do I Start for Clean Drinking Water?
When choosing water filters follow these steps.
1. You must evaluate your specific water filtration needs. Are you interested in only a drinking water filter or do you need a shower filter? Determine what your family needs.
2. Decide if you want to target any specific contaminants when filtering your drinking water. If you receive water from a public water system, it likely has chlorine added to disinfect your drinking water. In addition to chlorine, there may be added fluoride that you may want to remove. You will want to find a water filter that is certified to remove chlorine AND trihalomethanes (a carcinogenic by-product of chlorination) as well as fluoride.
3.When choosing water filters, do your own research. Find out what exactly a water filter does. In order to understand certification claims, you will need to know a little about the process of water filtration. Find out what a micron is. Learn what granular activated carbon or GAC is as well as what KDF does.
4. Choose a brand of water filter that removes the most contaminants. In this way, you KNOW you are covered for anything that will come out your pipe! Most manufacturers offer a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the product.
5. Check to see what the cost of cartridge replacements. What may seem like a cheap costing filter may end up costing you hundreds in maintenance!
6. Check out the manufacturer...How long have they been in business? Will they be there for the long run to service you and support the product?